O ver the past 18 months we have also answered calls for assistance from various associations and provided over $20,000 in funds and materials financed by the fund-raising by BR4R and its Volunteers and Supporters.
These projects and associations include:
- Urgent legal fund for Manus men
The flawed refugee determination system in PNG means many Manus men have been denied a fair legal hearing of refugee applications. Urgent help is needed to stop their forced deportation back to danger. Anne Moon, who spoke to BR4R in December, coordinates this action. Organised via Chuffed.
- Gifts for Manus and Nauru
‘Gifts for Manus and Nauru’ is a registered charity supporting our asylum seeker and refugee friends at Manus and Nauru through sending parcels of much needed items, access to medication, and through the provision of mobile phone credit. Gifts for Manus
- Manus Emergency Fund
Supports Manus men in emergencies by raising funds for legal representation and grass roots relief. Manus Emergency Fund
- Legal Aid for a man seeking asylum
- Manus Lives Matter
Sister Jane Keogh in Canberra coordinates a project that links parishes and individuals with some of the most disadvantaged and isolated of the 900 men on Manus. This donation was for spectacles for three men. Manus Lives Matter
- BR4R’s Nauru Friendship Group
Linking women in the Northern Rivers with isolated women on Nauru. Postage paid for packages sent by volunteers of clothing, underwear, food, nuts, herbs and spices, protein powder etc
- BR4R’s Homestay Program
Transport costs and accommodation for .Flights, bus fares & accommodation for Homestay guests from Sydney and Brisbane.
- Individual visa support for a previous Homestay guest
- Qld Program of Assistance to Survivors of Torture and Trauma (QPASTT)
Provides flexible and culturally sensitive services to promote the health and well being of people who have been tortured or who have suffered refugee related trauma prior to migrating to Australia.
- Funding to Manus via the Brigidine Sisters
- Assistance to E-raced – a group aiming to break down the barriers facing all migrants including refugees
- Supporting the Refugee Council
- Biloela Billboard – Funds to keep the billboard up to get the Biloela family home – Biloela Billboard
- Justice Project – Manus Relief Fund
- Support for Rural Australians for Refugees
- RefugeeConnect – who help refugees and people seeking asylum who are in Brisbane to settle in and integrate with the wider community